INFLUENCE OF UKRAIN ON PATIENTS WITH SURGICALLY TREATED BREAST CANCER. PART IV. ELECTROMICROSCOPIC AND CYTOCHEMICAL EVALUATION
UGLYANICA K.N.1, MACIUK J.R.1, FOMIN K.A.1, NEFYODOV L.l.2, KRAVCHUK R.I.1, VINOGRADOVA LM.1, NOWICKY J.W.3, BRZOSKO W.J.4*
1) Medical Institute, Grodno, Belarus.
2) Institute of Biochemistry, Belarussian Academy of Sciences, Grodno, Belarus.
3) Ukrainian Anti-Cancer Institute, Vienna, Austria.
4) Roch Brzosko Memorial Centre for Natural Medicine, Willowa 8/10, 00-790 Warsaw, Poland.
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Summary: The present studies were undertaken to evaluate by light and by electron microscopy the influence of Ukrain on the morphology of breast cancer. The studies were carried out on material obtained from ten patients with breast cancer, treated preoperatively with Ukrain. Control material for the studies was obtained from patients of similar age and advancement of the disease, who did not receive Ukrain. The data obtained in the present studies indicate that Ukrain is responsible for severe changes in morphology of tumour cells. Histological examination by both light and electron microscopy revealed cells characteristic of those undergoing apoptosis. The stromal changes of the tumour were characterized by intensive proliferation of the connective tissue accompanied by an immune reaction expressed by mononuclear infiltrates.